Announcements and Important Events
Swim Team Partnering with Our Minds Matter to Raise Funds
As part of an annual effort to combine their goal of improving times over the course of the season and community outreach, the swim and dive team is asking for your assistance in raising funds for Our Minds Matter. The donation link is at the very bottom of this page.
Our Minds Matter is a student-led movement designed to change the school culture around mental health. Through group activities and school-wide promotion, our minds matter clubs, like the one at YHS, help set the tone around mental health in their school community to be one that encourages students to seek help for themselves and friends and one that promotes social connectedness and the development of healthy habits and coping skills.
Mental health is just as important as physical health, yet teens often don’t seek the help they need because of shame, stigma, embarrassment and not knowing where to turn. Our minds matter clubs aim to spread messages that encourage students to seek help when stress or mental health challenges become overwhelming.
How we take care of our bodies and minds affects how we feel. Our minds matter clubs experiment with techniques to reduce stress and maintain a positive self-image. The goal would be for all students in the school community to take time for self-care in order to have a strong body and mind.
Where the swim team comes in...
- Similar to Our Minds Matter, we want to continue to build a supportive and welcoming environment on the swim and dive team that promotes healthy physical and mental behaviors to encourage self-care amongst our athletes and their peers!
- To do this, we are creating an incentive program to encourage our athletes to set goals for themselves and continue to work hard and stay motivated to improve and see the results in and out of the water!
- Over the holidays, while athletes have time to see family and friends, we want to encourage athletes to ask their loved ones to make pledged donations towards their own goals they hope to achieve, based on their times from the first half of the season
- We want the athletes to take pride in their fundraising and be creative with it!
- Ideas for donations:
- dollar amount per second/fraction of a second dropped in a particular event or any event (i.e. $1 per 1s dropped in all events OR $1 per .25s dropped in the 50 free OR etc...be creative!)
- A lump sum for hitting a target goal (i.e. $20 for going under 25s in the 50 free)
- A flat donation (i.e. $20 for earning a varsity letter)
- All Donations are tax-deductible and can be made online with a credit card or by giving a check--see donation form at the bottom!
- Using the attached document, athletes can reach out to parents, grandparents, relatives, family friends, and anyone who they feel comfortable asking for donations from, and track pledges. Because they are pledged donations, no one is locked into contributing until our athletes make the time drops they have agreed to with their benefactors. Please make use of the next few weeks--donation sheets must be turned into coaches before the Our Minds Matter Challenge on 01/22/2019
- As mentioned above, we will have 100% participation--coach Torey and Mr. Krulfeld have pledged $.01 for every .1s dropped by athletes in all events--last year this ended up totaling over $50!
- Get started on this right away!
- At our end of the season banquet, we will recognize our top 3 raisers!
Below are a few resources that provide more insight into what Our Minds Matter, and their parent organization, The Josh Anderson Foundation, do and how they do it! The funds we raise will further enable the YHS Our Minds Matter club to provide resources, programming, and outreach for students at Yorktown struggling to cope with mental health issues.
A senior swim team member is the President of the YHS Our Minds Matter club--not only will she be spearheading our efforts, but she is working to create ways for our team to work with the club and benefit our YHS Community at large! We truly believe this will be a great opportunity, and hope to see the athletes get involved with, and invested in, the good Our Minds Matter provides!
YHS Swim+Dive Coaching Staff
Link to Our Minds Matter Website: https://ourmindsmatter.org/about/
Link to Josh Anderson Intro Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU_OWwZT6Ec
Link to our Online Fundraising Campaign where donations can be made: https://givebutter.com/YHS2019MMC