CoEd Varsity Rifle
New Member Orientation for the Rifle Club starts October 2. See Team News on the Yorktown Sports website for more details.
Joining the Rifle Club
- Prospective members are expected to complete a four-day orientation session, consisting of instruction in safety and marksmanship skills. In order to become a member of the club and start practice, prospective members MUST attend all four days, and complete each session. Prospective members must demonstrate safe rifle handling and shoot minimum qualifying scores from the prone position during these sessions in order to be admitted to the program for regular participation. At the end of orientation, qualifying participants will have an opportunity to select a practice time slot (1 hour per week).
- If you are unable to complete all four days, we will waitlist you until such time as we are able to give a makeup session. Please note that, due to high demand in previous years, we may not be able to take anyone off of the wait list.
- Please bring the following forms to the first day of the orientation. If you do not fill out the forms in advance, hard copies will be available at orientation. If the forms are not filled out in advance, your parents are required to come in order to fill out the forms in advance of your participation. Forms are available on Team website under Files:
- VFW Waiver
- Data Sheet
- Emergency Card
- By the conclusion of orientation, if you qualify you must:
- Have a sports physical cleared by the athletic trainer for your school
- Pay $30 dues, cash or check payable to Yorktown, Wakefield or W-L Rifle Club.
- For the 2016-2017 season, orientation will be held as follows:
- Members must attend on October 2 from 1:30 pm to 5:30 pm. On October 2, you will select the 2-hour timeslot during which you will attend for October 4, 5 and 6.
- Location: VFW, 7118 Shreve Road, Falls Church, VA 22046
- Bring a light snack; we will have a short break in the middle.
- First practice is scheduled for October 11 at the VFW
- Members are expected to attend practice every week. Due to high numbers of interested students, we require that members contact us if they do not plan to come to practice. If a member does not attend for two consecutive practices and does not contact us, we will assume that he/she is no longer interested and will be removed from the roster.
- Members are expected to arrive promptly, preferably a few minutes early for their timeslot. Members may not be admitted if they are 10 or more minutes late since live fire may have started at that time; late entrance is at the discretion of the coach.
- Parents are responsible for transportation to and from practice. The coaches will publish the relay schedule with email/phone to set up carpooling if needed.
What to Wear to Practice
- Please wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing, preferably pants and long sleeves.
- Members are encouraged to purchase their own eye protection for shooting (available at local sporting goods stores). Prescription eyewear is sufficient for eye protection.
As part of participation in the club, each member’s progress will be recognized through an awards program. At the end of the year, each member will receive certificates indicating the level of expertise he or she has attained, and will be awarded medals at the expert and distinguished expert levels. Club members also have the opportunity to compete in introductory level interscholastic matches, and with other club members at the Club Championship; awards and trophies are awarded.
Are you interested in joining the Rifle Club? Coach Yates will be hosting a Prospective Rifle Club Member Meeting on Wednesday, September 14 at 3:30 pm in Patriot Hall. Information about our mandatory orientation, which starts in early October, will be given out at the meeting.
New starting this year: In order to participate in the program, you will need to have a cleared physical on file with the activities office.
If you are unable to attend on September 14, please contact Coach Yates at email@example.com